C View from Widdersteinhütte to Biberkopf mountain during sunrise (c) Michael Meusburger - Bregenzerwald Tourismus
Vorarlberg is synonymous with unique nature and inspiring culture, charming traditions and blissful enjoyment. Small wonder that those who have been to Austria’s westernmost state are always keen to return. Presently, Vorarlberg is preparing for a winter unlike any other: The Winterkodex Vorarlberg summarises the resources and measures in place to ensure a carefree, and above all safe, holiday for you.
Vorarlberg works together as one
Together, the State of Vorarlberg and its tourism partners have put together a comprehensive winter strategy. The Winterkodex Vorarlberg is a coordinated concept designed to offer all guests an extremely high degree of safety. Whether in their hotel, inn, cable car gondola or while exploring the region, guests should feel well looked after everywhere they go in the holiday region.
Strong destinations – safe businesses – healthy guests
The Winterkodex Vorarlberg is based on three areas: strong holiday destinations, safe businesses and healthy guests. The guidelines developed are uniform throughout the state, go above and beyond the legal minimum, and are adapted to fit the guest’s activities at the destination.
The Winterkodex Vorarlberg is implemented on three levels:
- via regulations as the tip of the spear and strongest means wherever possible.
- as a voluntary commitment by the businesses to go above and beyond the legal requirements.
- through supporting measures that strengthen the foundation (such as the Covid-19 guest cancellation insurance or the nationwide digital contact tracing system).
The cornerstones of the Winterkodex Vorarlberg
- Relaxed booking – Covid-19 guest cancellation insurance
You can book your winter holiday in Vorarlberg with confidence. After all, numerous local accommodation establishments have already adjusted their cancellation conditions. Moreover, the free coronavirus travel cancellation insurance from the State of Vorarlberg provides additional peace of mind when booking.
- Digital guest book – Contact tracing
Hosts in the gastronomy industry are obliged to record contact data. This insures that the chain of infection can be quickly traced and interrupted in the event of an incident. Keeping a digital guest book will allow guests, staff and locals to safely make it through the winter season in a simple and uncomplicated manner – a QR scan is all that’s needed.
- Quality assurance – Covid-19 representatives in all businesses
All tourism businesses, i.e., accommodation, gastronomy, cable car companies, ski schools and tourism organisations, have appointed a Covid-19 representative. He or she is responsible for ensuring that the prescribed prevention and hygiene concept is implemented. Representatives also serve as the contact person for guests, employees and authorities.
- Testing for guests
At your accommodation, you can check your body temperature at any time and without contact. Additionally, guests in our winter sports regions will have easy access to PCR test services throughout the winter season (subject to charge). All information about the tests is summarised here:
Winterkodex Vorarlberg at a glance
- Covid-19 representatives ensure the quality of health & safety measures and serve as contact persons for guests, employees and authorities
- Development and implementation of a prevention and hygiene concept
- Staff training on safety and hygiene rules before the start of the season
- Businesses are subject to random, advisory checks by external security companies
- Consistent employee testing in hotels: PCR test before the first day of service, weekly testing and daily temperature measurement before start of shift
- Expansion of the free PCR testing programme for the following tourism sectors: private room rentals, gastronomy, camping, youth hostels, ski instructors and mountain guides
- Promotion of initial testing for employees of cable car companies, sports retailers and taxi companies at the beginning of the season in the destinations
- Internal company contact data collection (contact tracing)
- Contact tracing
- PCR testing facilities at the holiday destination or region (subject to charge)
- Ability to contactlessly measure for fever directly in the accommodation
- Requirement to wear mask that covers the nose and mouth
Strong holiday destinations
- Joint implementation of the package of measures for a successful winter season
- Free coronavirus cancellation insurance (ideally in combination with relaxed cancellation conditions form the accommodation establishments) for the entire winter season
- Waste water monitoring as a coronavirus early warning system at the holiday destinations
- Tourism staff with representatives from state politics, tourism, authorities and healthcare at the state level, and Corona Task Forces in the destinations allow for state-wide coordination